We’ve put together a list of free outdoor activities perfect for families this summer. Whether you want to get wet or enjoy music, movies, theatre or nature – our quick list should have something fun for everyone.
FREE OUTDOOR FUN
- Zilker Park: Throw a frisbee, climb on the rocks, kick a ball around, visit the playscape, blaze a trail around the lake — Zilker has so many great spots to enjoy. Don’t miss out on these two exciting free activities to enjoy this summer:
- The Barton Creek Greenbelt: The city has over 12 miles of wonderful trails for hiking and swimming. Visit Do512 Family for best access points or the Austinot Complete Guide.
- Austin Symphony Concerts in the Park: Relax on the lawn of the Long Center for free ensemble concerts each Sunday night. Sundays at 7:30 p.m. July 9th through August 27.
- Splash Pads: There are lots of free places to splish splash around town. One of our favorites is the Liz Carpenter Splash Pad at 1000 Barton Springs Rd. For more water fun visit the Austin list of pools and splash pads.
- Movies in the Park: This series of free movies in parks all over Austin is brought to you by Austin Parks Foundation (APF). Aladdin and Mighty Ducks are playing in July. Visit the APF site for the full calendar.
By Stephanie Bazan
Stephanie is a mama, and freelance writer and graphic designer from Austin, Texas. She enjoys adventures with her husband, 2-year-old son, and shepherd pound puppy.